Monday, May 25, 2009

Chats perchés by Chris Marker

Ever since seeing Sans Soleil recently, I have been obsessed about Chris Marker. I went to the library and got out a stack of books about him, and a DVD of Chats perchés (2004), or as known in English, The Case of the Grinning Cat. Made in his signature style with loosely connected and rambling thoughts jumping now and again to amusing or amazing juxtapositions and revelations, Chats perchés was originally made for French television, and starts by exploring yellow painted Cheshire-like cats that began to appear all over Paris. From there, we meander through an exploration of the previous four years, from 9/11 and the Iraq war to scandals in French politics, all punctuated by the return of the cats. My favourite line was about the narrator doing an Internet search for chat (cat in French) and having to weed out all the links to chatrooms. Not being up on my French current events, I have to say I wasn't as drawn in by Chats perchés, but appreciated seeing more of Marker's work.

No comments: