Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Dracula; Matrix #78

Guy Maddin has to be one of the most original and just plain strange directors around. I find his work hilarious, surreal and compelling to watch. He's been called the David Lynch of Canada but I think that does Maddin a disservice. Eraserhead has similarities to Maddin's work but that's where the comparison ends. We watched Dracula: Pages from a Virgin's Diary, which is an adaptation of the Royal Winnipeg Ballet's stage production, and I think it's perhaps the best Dracula I've seen to date (not counting Bela Lugosi's, a class by itself). And speaking of Maddin, the newest issue of Matrix is back from the printers, featuring an excerpt from his "autobiographical" film, Brand Upon the Brain!. It's the Narrative "I" issue, film and autobiography all mixed together by yours truly, plus it includes a DVD of short vids and animations by such artists as Elisabeth Belliveau, Victoria Stanton, Yvette Poorter... Tell me what you think of it!

No comments: